Making "Metallica" marines is actually quite simple, it just takes a while. IMO you don't need to do any highlighting (gasp) as the shine of the metallics removes the need for them and adds depth in the colour, by using the light.
To paint metallic marines in the same scheme as mine, you will need the following paints:
- Mithril Silver (paint)
- Badab Black (wash)
- Asurmen Blue (wash)
- + other colours for detail - guns, parchment etc.
I will now show you how to paint a simple marines armour using these colours:
1. Basecoat marine black (you can paint it but spray is better):
2. Paint all of the armour with pure mithril silver and let it dry:
3. Wash the armour with badab black and let it dry:
4. Wash the armour with asurmen blue and let it dry:
5. Wash the armour with asurmen blue again and let it dry:
6. Paint the other stuff - metallics, eyes, and stuff.
And there you have it. 1 finished model.